Winners and losers in today’s schools
There is almost universal agreement among educators that Covid-19 has affected students’ academic growth. The exception will be those students who have attended school throughout the pandemic. Hopefully, your children who are attending school virtually have been in a winning situation during this difficult time.
Winners: The students who have:
- good electronic equipment and know how to use it.
- teachers who know how to present engaging lessons via different computer platforms.
- parents with the time and know-how to help younger students with their lessons.
- attention spans that give them the ability to focus on the computer lessons for long periods of time.
Losers: The students who have:
- a learning disability and are not receiving the help that they need.
- an academic performance below grade level.
- not mastered the ability to work independently.
- insufficient computer knowledge for online learning.
Parents can send questions and comments to email@example.com or ask them on the columnists’ website at www.dearteacher.com.