Toilet paper roll crayons
These adorable toilet paper roll crayons are a fun craft for back to school! They would look great up in a study room or craft room too. Make your favorite color or make them all! You can even leave the tip off and use them as pencil holders.
Make these adorable toilet paper roll crayons with our free printable template. Or you can draw and cut out your own design from paper too!
Our book – Fun and Easy Crafting with Recycled Materials is bursting with toilet paper roll crafts like this one. We have a whole section of toilet paper roll crafts. But not only that, there are other recycled crafts for kids too – egg cartons, cardboard, newspaper, popsicle sticks, jars and more!
I love that kids can choose their favorite color for this craft. Or they can even turn it into a pencil holder by leaving the tip off.
Supplies needed to make a toilet paper roll crayon
– Toilet paper roll
– Cardstock – black and 2 shades of the same color. You want a lighter shade and a slighter darker shade.
– Glue stick and hot glue
– Craft template – see the form at the bottom of the post (with a preview of the template) for instructions on how to get the free printable template
Steps to make toilet paper roll crayons
1. Start by tracing the template onto colored cardstock.
You want 2 colors for each crayon – a lighter color and a slightly darker color. The lighter color is for the label and the darker color is for the crayon part.
2. Wrap the larger rectangle shape around a toilet paper roll and glue together.
Depending on the size of your toilet paper roll, you may need to trim the template slightly.
3. Wrap the smaller rectangle around the middle of the toilet paper roll and glue down.
4. Trace the squiggly strips on black cardstock and cut out. You’ll need 2 sets for each crayon, so trace the top and bottom of the squiggly design twice on black cardstock.
Glue a set to the top and bottom of the lighter-colored rectangular paper.
Separate them out a little bit when gluing down to show some of the cardstock underneath.
5. Make the circle for the tip by tracing around the circle template on the darker colored cardstock.
One you have a circle paper shape, make a slit halfway through the circle with scissors.
Then twist the paper around until it forms a cone shape. Trim off the excess paper. Then glue or tape the cone shape together.
6. Glue the tip into the toilet paper roll. You may need to use hot glue in order for it to stay (adult supervision).
6. Now you can give your crayon a face!
Glue on googly eyes.
7. Finally, draw on a smile or a smirk with a black marker.
We love how cute these little paper crayons are! These are definitely keepsakes in our house and will be staying up in our craft room. I hope you enjoy making them!