Make Gifts Personal with DIY Labels
After spending hours scouring stores for the perfect gift for each person on your list, the last thing you want to do is bury your thoughtful gesture in generic wrapping. Fortunately, with the right tools and a little creativity, you can make your gift boxes just as personal as the gifts they contain.
When you opt to create your own handmade gift labels, the options are nearly endless. If there are a large number of kids in your group, try making labels with photos instead of names so even the little ones who can't read can get in on the fun when it's time to hand out gifts. Or for a more crafty approach, look to one of these ideas from the crafting experts at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores, which will make your presents so pretty it almost seems a shame to open them.
Find more ideas for DIY projects to put a personal touch on your presents this holiday season at joann.com.
DIY Gift Toppers
Crafting time: 1-2 hours
Skill level: Beginner
Supplies and Tools:
- 12-inch paper trimmer with aluminum cut rail
- Fiskars Label/Simple Double Tag Maker with Built-in Eyelet Setter
- Fiskars Banner Thick Materials Shape Punch
- Wood veneer
- Alphabet stickers
- Fiskars Banner/Artisan Double Tag Maker with Built-in Eyelet Setter
- 8-inch scissors
Rosette Gift Topper
Use paper trimmer to cut two 3-by-6-inch pieces of cardstock. Fold each piece of cardstock accordion style then fold in half to form fan. Adhere two pieces together to create rosette, and secure at center with twine. Using label maker punch, cut simple label. After punching tag, punch hang hole using hole punch at front of tool. Glue rosette to top of gift box and attach simple label with twine.
Wooden Banner Gift Topper
Use the punch for thick materials to cut banner pieces from wood veneer. Tie thick piece of ribbon around gift box, and adhere wooden banner pieces to top. Apply alphabet stickers to banner pieces to spell a festive word or gift recipient's name. Wrap twine around ribbon and banner to complete.
Bow Gift Topper
- Cut two simple labels out of cardstock using label punch and four banners out of cardstock using banner punch.
- Gently roll two simple labels in half, avoiding putting a crease in cardstock. Use scissors to trim flat end to match angled end. Align simple label on top of two banner labels, and trim flat end of banners to match angle of simple label. Adhere trimmed banner shapes to untrimmed banner shapes. Check that untrimmed banners extend beyond end of trimmed banners. Curl up points by wrapping cardstock around scissor blades or a pencil.
- Adhere two ends of simple labels together and glue to banner pieces to create bow loops.
- Use paper trimmer to cut small piece of cardstock for bow center. Gently roll in half and adhere. Adhere bow sections together and attach to top of gift box.