Eat Better, Eat Together
Here are some family-friendly recipes that kids can help prepare while mom and dad do the rest.These recipes are perfect for the entire family, and keep the kids involved in the fun. The recipes are fun, healthy and make great back-to-school snacks
Black Cherry Snack Bars
The perfect snack for adults and kids; whether it be for the mid-day office snack or an added nutritious boost in your child’s lunch.
Yield: 10 – 2” x 3” bars
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
- 12 oz Black Cherry Sparkling Ice
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup puffed millet or rice
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or almond butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°. Prepare 9” square or 11” x 7” baking pan by greasing and lining with parchment or foil, for easy lift out and slicing bars.
- Add Black Cherry Sparkling Ice to small saucepan. Bring to boil and reduce liquid by less half, about 4 ounces.
- Meanwhile, toast all grains and almonds, spread on 2 sheet pans, in oven for 8 – 10 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- When Black Cherry Sparkling Ice has reduced, add honey, bring back to a boil; turn off heat. Stir in butter, extract and salt. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add egg whites and Black Cherry Sparkling Ice mixture to a large mixing bowl and combine. (Kids love cracking eggs – this would be a great step for them to take ownership of!)
- Add grains and nuts to liquids and mix well. Lastly, add cherries and combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and pat down. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for at least an hour before lifting out of pan and cutting into bars. May be refrigerated.
Fragrant Orange Mango Ice Pops
The heat isn’t gone yet! A fun way for parents and kids to get together in the kitchen for an easy recipe is with these Orange Mango Ice Pops. Kids can even choose their favorite shape and/or character mold and create their very own Ice Pops.
Yield: 10 – 3 oz ice pops
Prep time: 10 minutes
Freezer time: 6 hours minimum
- 10 oz Orange Mango Sparkling Ice
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup yogurt, plain or Greek style
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoon honey
- Orange zest, from 1 small orange
Special Equipment: Popsicle molds or small paper cups and wooden sticks
- Add Orange Mango Sparkling Ice plus all other ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into Popsicle molds. (This would be a great, fun step for kids to take over! They can even pick their favorite shape or character and make the popsicles in those molds.)
- Add sticks and freeze for at least 6 hours until solid.
Fruity Wormy Dirt Cups
What child doesn’t love dirt cups and what adult doesn’t remember these from their past? This recipe is perfect for kids to create their own dirt cups with their favorite candies for class favors, birthday parties and more!
Yield: 4 – 5 dirt cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 8 oz Black Raspberry Sparkling Ice, cold
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 1 box chocolate instant pudding, 3.9 oz.
- 4.5 ounces chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- gummy worms
- blackberries – optional garnish
5 oz. to 6 oz. small disposable cups or glasses
- Add Black Raspberry Sparkling Ice, milk and pudding mix to large bowl. Whisk for 2 minutes.
- Pour into cups, allowing space at top for “dirt” cookie crumbs.
- Sprinkle “dirt” cookie crumbs on top of pudding. Pudding will be soft set.
- Garnish with gummy worms and optional berries.
- Serve now or refrigerate until ready to serve.