COUNTY HEALTH DEPT. OFFERS HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
The Allegheny County Health Department offers the following safety tips for children when they go trick-or-treating on Halloween. Never let kids under 10 go trick-or-treating or cross the street without the supervision of an adult or older sibling. Advise kids not to run while trick-or-treating.
- Cross streets only at crosswalks and intersections, preferably with traffic lights. Look left, right and left again before crossing. Never dart out into the street or from between parked cars.
- Wear costumes light or bright enough to be visible at night. Decorate costumes, bags and sacks with reflective tape or stickers.
- Go trick-or-treating in familiar areas and along pre-established routes. Only visit homes which have their porch or outside lights turned on.
- Warn children never to enter a home or apartment building unless with an adult.
- Attach name, address and phone number inside clothing of children under 12.
- Remove breakable items and obstacles such as tools, ladders and toys from your own lawn, steps and porch. Keep jack-o-lanterns lit with candles away from trick-or-treaters whose costumes might brush against the flame.
- Tell children to bring their treats home before eating them. Check treats carefully for signs of tampering, especially fruit. Cut open and examine any piece of fruit before eating it.