Be proactive and protect what matters – Fire and crime prevention tips
By Kevin Bish
This month, there is a heightened awareness of two important topics – fire prevention and crime prevention as October marks both Fire Prevention Week and Crime Prevention Month. With these vital public awareness campaigns and the upcoming holiday season, it’s a perfect time for a few reminders that will help protect your home, family and property.
Fire Prevention Tips
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries in non-monitored smoke and CO detectors once a year. If a CO detector is a plug-in, press its test button to ensure it’s working. Monitored smoke and CO detectors should be tested regularly, according to the security provider’s recommendations. Generally, all smoke and CO detectors should be tested monthly.
- Make sure you have an escape plan and practice it. Create a fire escape plan for your family (including pets!) and practice how you’ll get out of a structure in case of fire and where you’ll meet. Practice it twice a year to make sure everyone knows what to do and where to go.
- Cook smart. Fires that result from cooking are the number one cause of home fires. Cook safely by never leaving a stove unattended while in use and keeping your barbecue grill at least 10 feet from your home and other structures.
Home Crime Prevention Tips
- Secure all entry points. Make your home difficult to enter for potential intruders. Lock all doors and windows and any other entrance point.
- Give the appearance that your home is always occupied. Set timers for lights, put a hold on mail when traveling, and keep up with landscaping.
- See something, say something. Be aware of your surroundings and report anything that seems suspicious to local authorities. Join or start a neighborhood watch group that brings neighbors together to help prevent crime.
While having a home security system is an extra layer of protection, being proactive and taking steps to prevent fires or home break-ins provides homeowners with peace of mind that they are doing everything they can to keep their family, home and pets safe.
Kevin Bish is with Guardian Protection, a provider of smart security and automation solutions for residential, commercial, institutional, and multi-site customers.