Back-to-School Tips that Save Time and Money
Back-to-school season means it's time to get back to the business of learning. This year you can ace your back-to-school shopping excursion with these time- and money-saving steps that can make getting the whole family ready for a new school year a breeze.
- Start with a list. Walking into the store without a list is an open invitation for impulse buys and forgotten items that end up costing you more time and money with a return trip. Create a thorough list by categorizing all the items you'll shop for, such as supplies, electronics and clothing.
- Set a budget. Knowing what you can afford to spend ahead of time can save regret and returns after you shop. Calculate how much you'll need to cover all the items your students truly need, then tack on some room for wants. One must-have is a high-quality backpack, like the High Sierra Access Backpack, which includes a dedicated storage area for your child's laptop, among other features. If your total budgeted expenses exceed your available funds, consider browsing weekly circulars to keep your budget in check.
- Explore your inventory. It may be buried under a summer's worth of knick-knacks, but digging out the supplies your child cast aside at the end of the last school year may be worth the effort. Items like scissors, rulers and protractors may not need to be replaced every year if they're still in working condition. Assess what items you have that can be reused and those that need to be replaced for the new school year.
- Cut extra stops. Dashing all over town to find all the items on your supply list is not only time-consuming, it's unnecessary. At stores like Office Depot and OfficeMax, you can find all the academic tools and supplies your student needs to head back to the classroom. What's more, a store that specializes in school supplies will have a broad selection and ample stock of the essentials.
- Try online shopping. When you know exactly what you need, shopping online is a great time-saving solution. If you need to hand-select a few items in person, you can always take advantage of a "buy online, pick-up in store" option. This service lets you do your shopping from home with just a quick stop in-store to pick-up your purchases.
- Buy in bulk. It may seem counter-intuitive when you're trying to trim your spending, but if you can swing it, go ahead and buy extra items that you'll likely need to replace mid-year. The sale prices during the back-to-school season aren't likely to repeat during the school year, so in the long run you'll save money and avoid a last-minute shopping trip on a busy school night in the future. Items like Stellar fashion notebooks, which give notetaking a fashionable twist, are great to have on hand throughout the school year.
Research specials and promotions. For many stores, the back-to-school shopping season is second only to the holidays. This means you can expect widespread sales, promotions and special deals, such as "deals as low as a penny." Some states also offer tax-free holidays near the beginning of the school year, which are honored at multiple retailers and generally restricted to school-related purchases like clothing, supplies and some technology.
Take more notes on smart back-to-school shopping ideas and deals at officedepot.com.