An Affordable, Effortless Easter
Easter is all about festive family gatherings and good food. Whether you’re celebrating with your closest or hosting a larger crowd in your home, try these simple tips to keep everyone happy and full without blowing your budget.
Plan ahead: Don’t let the pressure of hosting the holidays stress you. A well-constructed game plan can help you stay on track with your spending goals. Before heading to the grocery store, take inventory of what you already have and create a list of the items you need. These simple steps can save you time and money in the long run.
Find affordable ingredients and supplies: Grocery shopping can be a daunting task, especially with seemingly endless options. Shopping at a grocery store like ALDI helps you find everything you need in one quick and easy shopping trip, including high-quality, fresh, affordable foods for your Easter spread. While there, you can also pick up other Easter essentials like baskets, toys, bakeware, decor and more.
Keep leftovers in mind: Food (and money) can go to waste when leftovers go uneaten. Instead of tossing out your forgotten leftovers, incorporate them into a whole new dish. Try these Holiday Ham Sliders using leftovers from main dishes such as Slow-Cooked Maple Ham.
Find more tips and recipes for an appetizing Easter at ALDI.us.
Slow-Cooked Maple Ham
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours, 15 minutes
- 20 ounces Sweet Harvest Pineapple Chunks
- 8 pounds Appleton Farms Smoked Ham Butt
- 1 cup Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Baker’s Corner Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Burman’s Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill Ground Black Pepper
Pour pineapple into large slow cooker. Place ham on top of pineapple, flat-side down.
In small bowl, combine syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, Dijon mustard and pepper. Pour over ham.
Set slow cooker to low. Cook 4-5 hours.
Remove ham; keep warm. Skim fat off top of remaining liquid in slow cooker.
Pour liquid into small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until reduced to desired consistency.
Serve sauce on side or heat oven to broil and glaze ham. Broil 3-4 minutes for caramelized crust.
Holiday Ham Sliders
Recipe courtesy of Chef Linsey, ALDI Test Kitchen
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- Carlini Canola Cooking Spray
- 3 ounces Happy Farms Preferred Cranberry White Cheddar, shredded
- 3 ounces Happy Farms Preferred Plain Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces L'oven Fresh Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 2 tablespoons Burman's Spicy Mustard
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 12 ounces Appleton Farms Spiral Sliced Half Ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green apple
- 4 tablespoons Countryside Creamery butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Stonemill Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Parsley Flake
Heat oven to 350 F.
Line 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
In small bowl, combine cranberry white cheddar and havarti cheeses. Reserve.
Remove entire package of rolls and, keeping rolls connected, slice in half horizontally.
Place bottom half of rolls in baking pan. Spread with spicy mustard.
Top with red onion, ham, apple, cheese mixture and bun tops.
In small bowl, combine butter, garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes. Pour over sandwiches.
Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
Remove foil. Bake 10 minutes more.
Remove from pan and separate sandwiches; serve immediately.