Allegheny County’s Haley Grenesko Wins Girls National Marbles Championship
Haley Grenesko, 13, of Morningside was crowned the girls champion at the 93rd National Marbles Tournament in June in Wildwood, New Jersey.
Lauren Shuty, 12, of the South Side Flats was the girls national runner-up. Grenesko and Shuty squared off in the final, guaranteeing that the girls national champion would be from Allegheny County.
- Madison Johnson, 12, of Lawrenceville
- Sierra Ricci, 11, of Shaler Twp.
- Bob Narr, 13, of Lawrenceville
- Eli Murphy, 13, of Squirrel Hill also made it to the national semi-finals
The “mibsters,” or marble shooters, played more than 1,200 games during the four-day tournament to compete for national honors, college scholarships and numerous prizes and awards.
Allegheny County’s marbles program has produced 30 national champions since the tournament started in 1922, including 11 in the last 13 years:
- Haley Grenesko in 2016
- Emily Cavacini in 2013
- Bailey Narr and Brandon Matchett in 2011
- Penelope Bauer in 2010
- Amber Ricci and John Leffakis in 2008
- Alexandra Bauer in 2007
- Keith Moss in 2006
- Jamie Miller in 2005
- Carly Miller in 2004
Department of Parks 211 County Office Building • 542 Forbes Avenue • Pittsburgh, PA 15219 Phone (412) 350-7275 • Fax (412) 350-2682