Allegheny County Parks Still Seeking Lifeguards for 2016 Swimming Season
Guards especially needed at Boyce Park Wave Pool, North Park Swimming Pool
The Allegheny County Parks Department is still seeking qualified applicants, ages 16 and older, to fill lifeguard positions at its pools in Boyce, North, Settlers Cabin and South parks this summer. Pools will be open daily, 11:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m., June 4-September 5, weather and conditions permitting. Additional guards are especially needed at the Boyce Park Wave Pool and North Park Swimming Pool. Candidates must be willing to work the entire season, including flexible hours, weekends and holidays. Pay range is $9.25-$10 per hour depending on experience.
The county is also offering incentives to lifeguards – including a $1,000 college scholarship – for outstanding attendance and commitment to the pools. These incentives include:
- Passes for Perfect Attendance
- At the conclusion of June, July and August, lifeguards who achieve perfect attendance will receive complimentary park passes, which may include:·
- Skiing or snow tubing at Boyce Park;·
- Ice skating at North Park or South Park;·
- Golfing at North Park or South Park;·
- Go Ape Zip Line & Treetop Adventure at North Park; or·
- Hundred Acres Manor Haunted Attraction at South Park.
- $250 Incentive
- Lifeguards who work in excess of 400 hours for the entire 2016 season will earn a $250 bonus.
- $100 Incentive
- Lifeguards who work in excess of 400 hours and remain employed full-time through August 14, 2016, will earn an additional $100 bonus.
- $1,000 College ScholarshipLifeguards who attain 400 hours and remain employed through August 14, 2016, will be eligible for a drawing for a $1,000 college scholarship.
Note: The county reserves the right to make individual exceptions based on an employee’s college schedule.
Interested individuals must complete an aquatics examination scheduled for 5:00-8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17, at Chartiers Valley High School, located at 50 Thoms Run Road in Bridgeville. Prior to participating in the aquatics exam, all applicants must present a completed physical examination form, employment application and permission to investigate form. No aquatics exam will be given without a doctor’s certification.
Prior to May 23, candidates must also present current lifeguard training, first aid, and adult, child and infant CPR certifications. In order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance and FBI Criminal History Background Check.
The parks department will pay lifeguards on the following scale: $9.25 per hour for first-year lifeguards; $9.50 per hour for senior lifeguards (employed with the county for two or more seasons); $9.75 per hour for assistant head lifeguards; and $10 per hour for head lifeguards. In addition, all lifeguards will be outfitted with a swimsuit or swim trunks, T-shirt, sweatshirt, cap and whistle.
For forms and additional information, visit the county’s lifeguard employment website at www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/lifeguard-positions.aspx <http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/lifeguard-positions.aspx> or call 412-350-2478.